WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-linux] iso-distributions

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: Re: [rock-linux] iso-distributions
Hi,

On: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:13:03 +0200,
    "Familie Oehler" <> wrote:

> ok - let us start with the minimal beta6:
>
> after booting it shows the nice boot screen and goes thru the loader
> process. the 1st stage boot end with the question <what do you want do do
> [1-7]?>. i decide for <5> as it is my fortune number and then the 1 for cd.
> the next problem i dont need to waste time for thinking. there is a
> <default>, my favored decision - a real YES installation. and the minimal
> rock died with <Using /dev/cdroms/cdrom0:>.

Strange. The "Using ..." message is in our linuxrc.c and there is not
much that is able to fail - and each has a nice perror call arround:

        printf("Using %s:%s.\n", devicefile, filename);

        if ( mkdir("/mnt_source", 700) )
                { perror("Can't create /mnt_source"); exit_linuxrc=0; }

        if ( trymount (devicefile, "/mnt_source") )
                { perror("Can't mount /mnt_source"); exit_linuxrc=0; }

        if ( mkdir("/mnt_root", 700) )
                { perror("Can't create /mnt_root"); exit_linuxrc=0; }

        if ( mount("none", "/mnt_root", "tmpfs", 0, TMPFS_OPTIONS) )
                { perror("Can't mount /mnt_root"); exit_linuxrc=0; }

        if ( fork() == 0 ) {
                printf("Extracting 2nd stage filesystem to ram ...\n");
                snprintf(text, 100, "/mnt_source/%s", filename);
                execlp( "tar", "tar", "--use-compress-program=gzip",
                               "-C", "/mnt_root", "-xf", text, NULL);
                printf("Can't run tar on %s!\n", filename);
                exit(1);
        }

> i feed him the desktop beta6 and give him full power again. same startup
> screen and continues after a short time - just fine for writing the
> protocoll - great. 1st stage is loaded as well. as it worked fine last time
> i don't change my mind - 5 again and 1 for cd and the default.
> <Using /dev/cdroms...>
> insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-rock/kernel/fs/minix/minix.o ... failed
> insmod: ...nls_iso8859-1.o ...failed
> insmod: ...nls_iso8859-1.o ...failed
> Extracting 2nd stage filesystem to ram ...
>
> gzip: stdin: I/O error
> tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
> tar: Child returned status 1
> Can't find /mnt_root/linuxrc!

As already mentioned by Tobias (IIRC) this is really strange - maybe
defect CD or so ... - Strange.

> power off and to the next coffee break.
>
> so - to the camp version i downloaded last night. thank god - you found the
> vanished images. same procedure.

Vanished? They where just not available when the source was announceed
becaue I was traveling arround ...

> <Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel>
> i remember same error as in beta5 version of desktop.

Yes - the first beta5 was defective. I had not tested it here (due to
lack of x86 hardware) and wanted other people to test it ... So the
first people got a ISO with a missing linuxrc (damn build script). It
was fixed after the first downloads.

The exact case happend again with -camp, just that I fixed this before
the release - unfortunately the defective file made it's way on the
server. Sorry.

This is fixed now and you can repair your first ISO with:

rsync -vP rsync://gsmp.tfh-berlin.de/public/ftp/rock/stable/2.0.0-camp/desktop/drock-2.0.0-camp-rev1045-x86-pentium-mmx_cd1.iso the-already-downloaded-file

This will only transfer some bytes (rsync binary diff ...)

> some questions - what do you think ?
> - how many of the poeple is downloading your images and goes the described
> way. get a bad image of rock and --- tell all world about the bad experience
> with rock?

The -beta6 generic and desktop are fine and tested. The -beta5 was
defective for the first hours - sorry. The same (only accidently,
since the correct ISO was already on the buld-server :-() applies for
-camp.

The -rc1 was also just test installed on a x86 box here, and will be
synced to the mirrors, soon.

> - what is the cause of i was not able to install the rock images (i
> downloaded mandrake as i did with rock, same way, same hw) ?

See above. For the minimal I do not know - never had it here. Maybe
other can comment if it works ...

> - how much brave do i need to get rock installed? (8 coffee, 4 beers, 2
> château, 1 jonny)

Normally you do not need to be drunk ...

> what motivation could make me try to install a rock-linux over a running
> installation? i can live with all at&d and bsd systems.
> what would you do?

Get the source - build form source. Then if:

a) works out of the box:
       complain at the ISO creator
, or if:
b) it also fails, instrument the initial loader with some debug
   messages (or include a statically linked gdb - ok well just
   joking) and see why what fails.

> sorry for my english - obviously not my native language :-))

Nope was ok - especially after consuming 8 coffee, 4 beers, 2 >
château, 1 jonny ...

> have fun
> george

Could you try the updted -camp ISO? I it still fails I can create
boot-code only (~30MB) CDs (which you could also rsync to save
bandwith) with special debug code/messages.

Sincerely yours,
  René Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer

--