WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-linux] Project renaming

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
+ (application/pgp-signature)
Subject: Re: [rock-linux] Project renaming
Hi,

Clifford Wolf schrieb:

> the ROCK 2.1 roadmap contains stuff like integration of Hurd and OpenBSD
> kernels to the ROCK build system. So the name "ROCK Linux" wouldn't fit
> very well anymore ....

I heard that already from Esden. And I think that is a needed step for
the future of ROCK.

> Also "ROCK Linux" fits too well into the common "Foobar Linux" naming
> scheme for linux distributions - so it's no wonder that it is so hard to
> promote ROCK Linux as "built kit for linux/whatever distributions" instead
> of "yet another linux distribution".

Full ACK.

> I'd suggest renaming the project to something different. My personal
> preference would be something like "Open ROCK". Suggestions, thoughts and
> feedback in any form is very welcome.

Ok. I have two other suggestions. The first is "ROCK Build Kit" and the
second is "Open ROCK - The Distribution Build Kit". The first came from
a suggestion "ROCK Toolkit" I heard, but this one does not fit I think.
My favourite is the second name, because we are not a distribution build
kit, but we are "The Distribution Build Kit" :-).

Regards,
Michael