[rock-user] [ANNOUNCE] full IBM RS/6000 (RS/6k) CD boot supp…

Author: Rene Rebe
To: rock-user
CC: rock-devel
New-Topics: [rock-user] dRock and gnome panel
Subject: [rock-user] [ANNOUNCE] full IBM RS/6000 (RS/6k) CD boot support
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that I now have a full functional bootable CD
for IBM RS/6000 (RS/6k) - at least the B50, here.

The rsync+ssh is still running, but at some point this night a 36MB
2nd stage rescue/install image will be ready, here:

  http://dl.rocklinux-consulting.de/ppc/rs6kboot.iso

md5sum:
  b6ad73371fb99758fd438d0d9894da40  rs6kboot.iso

size:
  36859904

I also have a full 2.0.1 PowerPC build here - test installed on an
Apple iBook G4 (v2) - so I merge this changes into the ISO and the
official 2.0.1 PowerPC ISO will already be RS/6000 ready.

One temporary drawback: Unlike the AIX CDs the current ROCK CD does
not auto-boot. This means you need to press F8 (or 8 when you are on a
serial console) to enter OpenFirmware (as already explained here:
http://dl.rocklinux-consulting.de/rock-handbook/html/rock-handbookse13.html)
and enter:

boot cdrom:,\install.bin

in order to get into yaboot and see the ROCK Linux install welcome
screen and press enter too boot into the 2nd stage loader.

I plan to further review this to get the CD auto-booting. But since
this all is much bit review, googling and guessing I can not predict
when this does happen. The next thing to merge is PowerPlus (Motorola
embeded booting) and then finally SPARC will be polished into an
end-user friendly boot support.

The tiny changes necessary will be commited to svn when I got sleep
and polished them thereafter.

Sincerely yours,
  René Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer