WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-user] Installation report drock 2.0.1 rev. 2585 (i…

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: Re: [rock-user] Installation report drock 2.0.1 rev. 2585 (incoming)

Excellent! 8-)

  Alex

You wrote:

<snip>
Hi,

On: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:31:28 +0200 (MEST),
    "Alex Bär" <> wrote:

> Yes, of course. Forgive me, but I'm really struggling in putting precisely
> what I mean. My point was not for ROCK itself, but for its target
> distributions, but sentences tend to grow in length when one wants to be
> correct here... ;-)
> So what can an end-user do after installing the dRock CDs in order to get
> the latest security patches for his system? As far as I can see there's no
> standard end-user tool like SuSE's YaST Online Update or swaret for
> Slackware. At first sight this might look logical, as patches are normally
> provided by the vendor/distributor, ie by the person or group who built

that
> particular target.
> But as far as I can see noone really provides patches or updates for ROCK
> targets, at the moment. Which makes ROCK targets a little less interesting
> to end-users than other distros.

Just have the SVN checkout of the associated stable tree and run a
"svn up" with successive "./scripts/Update-System" on it.

This way you get all the sane and stable security update and fixes -
and in a full automated way.

Only Update-System could need a tiny improvement for it to work a bit
more smoothly. I can do this today.

> But I think this has not to remain that way. The build system creates a
> large repository of binaries. What about just throwing together what
> everyone had built successfully, and offer it for download from a central
> FTP source?
> Ok, it won't be quite that easy, and there would be many details to be
> determined. But I think, most of the things needed are already there, as
> parts of the build system (tool chain). What's missing is just a tool like
> apt-get or swaret.

One can even go a step further and only push the binary deltas. Rocket
is on possible sollution for this - and my synchronicity another.

Or one can improve Build-Pkg to try to get the built binary from a
cache site - of course using a hash of the config in use to get the
ones for the correct gcc and ROCK version ...

> Of course, this is not something of the core requirements for ROCK, as

this
> is about targets and not ROCK itself. However, wouldn't it be good for

ROCK
> as a whole, if the targets were more attractive for end-users?

Sure - and we are currently exploring several ways to do provide more
precompiled packages and updates.

Sincerely yours,
  René Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer

--
René Rebe - Europe/Germany/Berlin

https://www.rocklinux.org https://www.rocklinux-consulting.de
</snip>

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* https://www.gmx.net/dsl