WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-linux] Detect SCSI drive in VMWare vm

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: Re: [rock-linux] Detect SCSI drive in VMWare vm
Hi,

On: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:43:24 +0000,
    Stefan Fiedler <> wrote:

> To boot from a drive the appropriate driver has to be compiled into the kernel

or in the initrd. ROCK Linux can setup the initrd in stone
automatically - but it relies on the pci id's listed in the module to
select the correct ones.

I guess the buslogic driver in linux miss some or even all id's. I
recently merged the various fixes for the qla1280 driver from the
internet and added the propper id's (this driver missed them, too).

In general many seldom used scsi drivers in the linux 2.4 kernel seem
to be in a outdated state :-(

We should fix the buslogic driver - too bad that my merged qla1280
driver diff is some hundred kB in size ... :-(

> binary. Supplying the driver as a module is not enough because the kernel
> does not know how to load modules from a disk until the disk driver is
> loaded. As you wrote you had to load the BusLogic _module_ by hand, whereas
> compiled-in drivers are loaded at kernel boot time.

man initrd

> So a solution would be to use a kernel with a compiled-in BusLogic driver. If
> you think this might work, but don't know how to get your hands on such a
> kernel, feel free to mail to the rock-linux list again. You are always
> welcome.
>
> Have a nice day,
> Stefan Fiedler
>
> > Many thanks