WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-linux] Project renaming

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: Re: [rock-linux] Project renaming
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 wrote:

> Maybe move away from 'DBK' - because 'distribution' is something of
> the Linux world really (and maybe of a temporarily nature, will we
> have 500 distros ten years from now). ROCK is definately a TOOLKIT, it
> is meant for building systems (i.e. the end product counts, whether it
> is a desktop on PPC or a firewall on some embedded device).

Full ack on the distribution part and yes it is a toolkit. But almost
everyone I did ask about their opinions regarding "ROCK Toolkit" or "ROCK
TK" said that it sounds like it would be an x11 widget set.

Qt, GTK, TCL/TK, ROCK TK, ...

> While we all understand 'DBK', from a marketing perspective you may
> want to move on to something more generic.

That's why I think a name which doesn't try to explain what the project is
about would be better. It can (but doesn't need to) be a name with an
origin in ROCKs beeing or history. But the name should not try to explain
what ROCK is because that simply can't be done (imo).

> It is SOFTWARE for managing operating environments. In a way it is a
> software development toolkit for building OS solutions.

I really like this two lines. That's why I've added them to the about
section on the homepage (will be online after the next static html export
in less than one hour.

yours,
 - clifford

--
| Clifford Wolf /-----=[ www.clifford.at ]==[ Tel: +43-699-10063494 ]=-\
|--------------/ diestartseite.at vocat.cc =[ Fax: +43-2235-42788-4 ]=-|
|-=[ EDEN Creations -- www.edenevents.at ]==[ IRC: www.freenode.net ]=-|
\==[ www.rocklinux.org ]===[ www.rocklinux.net ]===[ www.linbit.com ]==/

2B OR (NOT 2B) That is the question. The answer is FF.