WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

RE:[rock-user] [rock-linux] [ANNOUNCE] ROCK Linux - v2.0.0 (…

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
+ (text/html)
+ (text/plain)
New-Topics: RE:[rock-user] [rock-linux] [ANNOUNCE] KDE 3.2 slug-mode (was :ROCK Linux - v2.0.0 (yes, -final) (Rafaella))
Subject: RE:[rock-user] [rock-linux] [ANNOUNCE] ROCK Linux - v2.0.0 (yes, -final) (Rafaella)
Hi All

Well done on this release, I burnt the iso's and installed today.

All went smoothly, apart from a couple of Glitches.

after install and it does depmod makewhatis updatedb etc, depmod fails, with a Fatal Error, as it is looking for vmlinuz_2.4.25-rock but the install has vmlinuz_2.4.24-rock it says fatal, but appears to be releatively harmless ( the system booted fine after install without error messages ;) )

Hardware detection is spot on, it picked upo and configured all my hardware without problem :)

One other thing has KDE 3.2 been built with debug mode ??? was it built with combreloc ?

I ask this because it runs like a slug with arthritis really it is very very very slow, to the point that I cant really use it, here are the reasons why.

1. from logging into kde it takes a staggering 4 minutes 39 seconds to load up

2. to load a simple konsole shell took almost 3 minutes to load up, and the configuration is slightly messed up, there is double letter spacing on the konsole shell prompt so it looks like this
e r i c @ l i n u x #

I am still waiting for the konsole configuration menu to load now this is well over 3 minutes already, first I got this bouncy icon showing for ages of the konsole and then it disappeared and nothing :(

Yes I admit KDE 3.2 looks pretty, but it isnt upo to the job right now, and I am going back to my old faithful gnome :)

At first I thought I forgot to activate swap, but checking mount it is mounted all partitions are mounted as ext3 except boot which is ext2

It is not my hardware I do not thinks as it runs fine on earlier versions of kde upto 3.14 - 3.15

My machine spec is

Athlon XP 2500 + ( 512mb L2 cache )
1 Gig DDR 333 Ram
Gigabyte GA7VXP Mobo
ATA 100 Seagate 120 gb IDE Disk
ATA 100 Maxtor 40GB IDE Disk
Liteon 48X24X48 CDRW
Matishui 5 X DVD
SB Live 5.1
Realtek 8139 NIC @ 100 MBs

Any ideas why KDE 3.2 is soooooo Slow ?

This is the only qualm I have with Rock 2 apart from this it is a ROCK SOLID distro

Regards
Yeric