WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

[rock-devel] ROCKUML

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
+ (application/pgp-signature)
+ (text/plain)
Subject: [rock-devel] ROCKUML
Hi *,

as some of you might have seen, I sent my idea of building UMLs with
ROCK to submaster.

Creation:
      -create a config of your gusto (bootdisk target does not work
       here), be sure you include the package "uml_utilities".
       In the expert options you'll find 'UML-Options'. There select
       that the kernel should be patched with the UML patch.
      -build your config.
      -run scripts/Create-UMLRootfs -prefix uml -full yourconfig
       Now you have a file uml_linux and a file uml_rootfs.

Customisation:
      - you can mount the rootfs by calling:
               mkdir -p mnt; mount -o loop uml_rootfs mnt; chroot mnt
      - there you should first set a root password or you can not login.
      - then run the scripts in /etc/cron.daily/
      - As UMLs start a xterm for each console, you might want to
      disable vc/1-vc/6 in /etc/inittab of the rootfs and just enable
      vc/0 (attaches to the pty in which you start the uml)

Running:
      -Start the UML with ./uml_linux ubd0=uml_rootfs

Comments are welcome.

Ciao

Andreas

PS: related patches are:
   smap 2004053014075320053  # kernel stuff
   smap 2004053122304927050  # rootfs creation script