WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-linux] bad PR by very bad isos

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: Re: [rock-linux] bad PR by very bad isos
Hi,

On: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:41:35 +0100 (CET),
Clifford Wolf <> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Nikolaus Filus wrote:
>
> > I wanted to install some new workstations and tried to use the official
> > generic isos tagged 2.0.0rc1. My final result is: unusable!
> > The first CD doesn't boot - it's not even recognized as bootable.
> > After this [...]
>
> I've installed them multiple times on different machines without any
> problems. The only time where I had problems was because of bad CD-RWs and
> a missing check in gasgui for i/o errors when installing packages (which
> has been fixed meanwhile).

You need to read very carfully. Did you install the "generic" or the
"desktop" build? ;-)

I can say that I only release tested ISOs (nowadays) and that the
-rc1-desktop works really well. The fact that I was really very short
in time the last three weeks is also the cause why the tagged and
built -rc2 is not released yet. I simply have not yet fully verified
the ISOs ... :-(

Maybe there really is an issue with the "generic" ISO, I only built
and test the desktop ones (aside the reference build of course), and
all the other contributors of e.g. the generic or minimal ISOs should
should also verify that the ISO is fully functional before the upload
- I do not verify this ...

The iso.rocklinux.de site could (should) add some rating and comment
field where people can enter hardware combinations that failed or
worked well ...

> Maybe you could dig deeper into the problems you are having and make an
> actually useable bug report.

;-) My vote, too.

> yours,
> - clifford