WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

[rock-linux] RE: Clarification Please

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: [rock-linux] RE: Clarification Please
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:24:27PM -0000, <mailto:> wrote:
> Hello again,

>After building you have a directory with the complete root where all the
>packages are installed in in the build directory of your config.
>I mean rock-src/build/<yourconfig>/root/
>you could move this and use it as your new root. Or you burn a cd with
>all the packages in it (and a bootloader), boot it ad install it on the
>pc where you built it.

Ok this makes sense :)

>Binarys are always built from source ;)
>It just depends how you get them. You can either download them from some
>public source, build packages of the new version and install them or
>just build it on the system in question directly.

Ah yes, I was thinking of rpm's in terms of binaries, I had such a bad time with Suse after a YOU update it left my system next to useless after it pulled rpms from a very old release of SUSE and I would find I couldnt install certain programs because their dependencies conflicted with programs already installed that I also wanted, and in one instance two rpms needed each other but neither were installed nor could be installed a chicken and egg situation, this almost put me of Linux for good ( thankfully it didnt succeed :) ) , I then tried Debian which I liked but eveything was so dated, so I then went on to source distro's Gentoo being my first and current for one machine was on the other machine as well, but a recent emerge -u world rendered it useless with python and gcc and glibc being broken so no way to re-emerge -d to go back to older verions .
And am still not experienced enough to know how to relink programs to a binary version of these packages.

I realise that there will always be dpendencies for everything, but it should at least be possible to install sources that rely on new versions of certain programs by just installing the newer sources alongside the older ones to co-exist ?? apart from maybe glibc ?

>The .gem's (the standard package format in ROCKLinux) contain the
>.tar.bz2'ed binaries as well as meta information about the package,
>where files are installed and so on.

Yes I read about this in the handbook, but again wondered if this was for prebuilt binaries for for handbuilt ones ?

you need to build your target, and a bootdisk target. Then, when you
create the ISO, specify the bootdisk and you get a bootable cd with nice
installation interface.

I see then this is brialliant, I have a slower machine with a newer duron in it that takes an age to compile a system on, so technically I could build once on my XP processor and output for the xp and duron to iso's as say a basic system with gcc perl gettext glibc and gnome2 install on both machines from same iso's and then customise again by using mine or gem to add new source based packages to each machine.

this is great works like OO take all the commonalities of the two machines that each will both require build a distro and then install and customise each machine further from the installed distro with gem or mine

for instance both machine are built as base distro's with gnome2, and installed then later I decide that I might like to try anjuta ide and bug-buddy2 on one of the machines so can from the existing installed distro build anjuta and bug buddy2 without the need to rebuild another target with these features built in ?

> I am really wanting to try this distro as an alternative to Gentoo, as I believe looking at the dates Rock was possibly the first sources based distro before Gentoo or SMGL or SGL or Lunar ?
>
> Thanks for the help in advance

np.

Ciao

Andreas