WebHosting Paid by #1Payday.Loans

   The ROCK Linux project has been discontinued in 2010. Here are the old data for the historical record!

Re: [rock-linux] Clarification Please

ROCK Mailing List Archives

Attachments
Entire message
+ (text/plain)
Subject: Re: [rock-linux] Clarification Please
Hi,

On: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:24:27 -0000,
    <> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Ok If I am understanding the handbook correctly, you use Rock to build a distro from sources into binaries, which can be used to install on another machine via nfs or whatever or burn cds from the packages to install on other computers.

Yes.

> I can not see anywhere, where you can install the distro you just built onto the machine you built it on apart from creating iso's and using these to install the new distro ????

This is briefly in the Handbook (and needs to be extended):

https://www.rocklinux-consulting.de/products/rock-handbook/html/rock-handbookse13.html

> I must misunderstand this bit, as Rock compares itself with Gentoo and on Gentoo this is not necessary.

The Gentoo installation method is not only a waste of time - but also
of energy resources. ROCK Linux is normally built on one box - and the
resulting ISOs are installed on multiple machines. You also have a
consistent system environment to administrate in constrast to the
custom creation with Gentoo ...

> Please can these questions be answered thank you.
>
> Once the distro is built and installed on the machine how are updates made ??? are they built from sources ?

Sure - bult by source or binary updates from a central box. Either use
./scripts/Built-Pkg (or ./scripts/Emerge-Pkg) or the
./scripts/Update-System.

> When it says binary packages, is this in the sense of a package like .deb or .rpm ..tgz or whatever they use, and if so does this not defeat the object of building from sources to avoid dependency hell ?

yes - a tar.{bz2,gz} optionally surrounded by some meta information
inside a .gem file.

> if neither of the above how are the binaries installed from the burned iso's. ( not wishing to copy them to the relevant directories by hand )

mine -i installs a .gem package - optionally with e.g. -R to specify a
different root.

> I am really wanting to try this distro as an alternative to Gentoo, as I believe looking at the dates Rock was possibly the first sources based distro before Gentoo or SMGL or SGL or Lunar ?

Yes, likely.

> Thanks for the help in advance

Sincerely yours,
  René Rebe